In the fast-paced world of digital communication, staying updated with the latest policies and pricing changes is crucial for businesses. Meta’s recent announcement regarding the new pricing policy for Whatsapp Business Messaging has caught the attention of many. As the implementation date approaches, it’s important to understand the key changes and how they may impact businesses relying on Whatsapp for customer communication.
Breaking Down the New Pricing Policy Beginning June 1, 2023, Meta’s new pricing policy for Whatsapp Business Messaging will come into effect. While the basic structure remains consistent, there are a few notable adjustments that businesses need to be aware of:
- Elimination of Free Conversations: The previous provision of 1,000 free Whatsapp conversations per month will no longer be available under the new pricing policy.
- Categorization of Messages: Messaging types have been re-classified into four distinct categories, each with its own rate. These categories include:
- Service Messages (previously User Initiated conversations): For authentication, OTP messages, login processes, account verification, account recovery, etc. These conversations are free until the business responds.
- Templated Messages: Business-initiated conversations that fall into specific categories, namely:
- Authentication: Messages related to OTPs, login processes, etc. These messages are the lowest priced messages.
- Utility Conversations: Updates regarding ongoing transactions. These messages are also priced lower than marketing conversations.
- Marketing Conversations: Promotions, offers, informational updates, or invitations for customers to respond or take action. Any conversation that doesn’t qualify as utility or authentication falls into this category. These conversations have the highest cost within WhatsApp’s pricing model.
Under the new pricing policy, businesses who use WhatsApp messaging templates correctly will save substantially. They will no longer be charged full conversation rates when sending out authentication messages like one time passwords or while sending an update to a customer.
Stay connected, stay informed, and embrace the changing landscape of business communications!